Born in Lewisham in 1916, Marian Jeffares studied at both the Slade School of Art and the Courtauld Institute. An active member of the Communist Party, Jeffares traveled in China with her second husband, George, where she painted, drew and learned Chinese. After two years in China, Marian and George moved to Dublin, where she had several exhibitions. She died in 1986. This work was bequeathed to the Collection by Clare Holtham, Marian’s daughter.